Sunday, February 10, 2013

a reminder to myself

photo: Toyonori Kato TOM
 First, I wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who came out to the opening of my show, Into the Wild. It really was such a great turnout because of everyone's support. I almost wanted to cry seeing so many faces that I didn't expect to see. Also, thank you so much for all the presses and emails congratulating the show.

 Today, I wanted to share a few things I've been strongly thinking about over the last couple years. That is, this idea of self being constructed through other external factors such as people whom one directly encounters or even nature one experiences. More and more I trace back whom I've met and what changed my perception, there really isn't such thing as myself but it's just one huge construct of many others' experiences affecting who I am.
 I wouldn't even have been interested in painting or even thought of pursuing painting as a career if I didn't meet or have all my amazing teachers, peers, and supportive parents who made and still make me feel like I can do it. Or even those great living and historical artists all over the world who have really made me realize that I have to work harder than I thought I should.
 I'm extremely thankful for all the individuals I've met, things people wrote, said, created, or just nature itself which inspires me, good or bad (though I don't believe in the bad experiences anyways). And this is just a note to myself so that I can keep appreciating and embracing whatever experiences that happen to come.

Happy Chinese New Year Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You just made me think about this from a different perspective! art and life I mean. Thanks for being awesome

    ReplyDelete